The Endless Knot

Life, Buddhism, and Me

22 September 2006

MKLVFKWR

Pat, I’d like to buy a vowel please. Maybe the title of this post is a bit harsh. Should a Buddhist be angry about the ongoing conflicts all over the world? Should we worry? I’m reminded of a saying I read somewhere long ago, before my recent interest in Buddhism, but I believe it was attributed to a Buddhist somewhere, maybe even the Dalai Lama. To paraphrase:
Worry is fruitless. If you can do nothing about a situation, worry does no good. If you can do something, then you should act, not worry.
Yesterday was the International Day of Peace, and I was absorbed in getting ready to move, and had forgotten all about it. Two posts on the Second Life Blog reminded me this morning about it. One from Torley Linden, and another from Blue Linden. Torley sums it up by saying, “My plea to you, not just for today but forever: live well, live peacefully, love lots.” What can we do to live peacefully, and love lots, and act instead of worrying? Buddhists know the answer, I think. Every day we should remember and practice the Noble Eightfold Path. I also have a special fondness for the term “loving-kindness” and that is one thing I want to remember to always strive to practice. Other than our personal practice, what can we do? Some ideas that immediately come to mind: Support a charity like the American Red Cross, or my favorite, CARE. We can volunteer and work in our communities to promote loving-kindness where we live (remember the saying, “Think globally, act locally.” Our actions at home filter upwards.) We can engage in dialog with our elected officials — writing to them, phoning them, sending emails — letting them know our views, as the people they represent, on issues that affect world peace. I hope that the Dharma continues to grow ever stronger in the West, and that by the actions of those who live it, will help the world to become ever more peaceful. That is my wish for the International Day of Peace.

Labels: ,

lotus dingbat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006 Simon Nolan


The End