The Endless Knot

Life, Buddhism, and Me

20 September 2006

NH3 and Buddhism

Just because I’ve taken to Buddhism doesn’t mean I’ve given up science. Actually, even His Holiness the Dalai Lama will tell you that science and Buddhism are not incompatible. From my jaunts across the net, I’ve also noted that many Buddhists, especially those in America, are also quite aware of and participate in environmental causes. So, I was quite interested to find in my news aggregator an article on Wired News about a new irrigation pump engine fueled by anhydrous ammonia (NH3). The article points out that a significant infrastructure already exists for the distribution of NH3, largely due to its use by farmers as fertilizer. I was surprised to learn that there are even pipelines carrying the stuff. Contrast that with the practically non-existent infrastructure for large-scale hydrogen distribution. It should be noted that NH3 is not a mild chemical. It’s actually very noxious. It’s corrosive and explosive. But we also have to consider that the gasoline we fuel our automobiles with is also pretty nasty stuff. It’s poisonous and, like NH3, very explosive. It’s that combustibility that makes both potential fuels. So how is NH3 a fuel? (And are you surprised to consider it a fuel, like I was?) Well, I’m not completely sure, but from what I have read on Wikipedia, normal combustion of NH3 yields nitrogen and water. I grabbed a scratch pad and worked it out, and I think the reaction goes like this (chemists, correct me if I’m wrong!): 4 NH3 + 3 O2 → 2 N2 + 6 H2O Four ammonia molecules react with 3 oxygen molecules from the atmosphere — it’s oxidized. This is what has me most excited: the exhaust products are just nitrogen and water! What could be cleaner? Now, you might be concerned about that nitrogen part, but remember that clean pristine air you are breathing right now is almost 80% nitrogen (in the same form as the combustion product, N2). I imagine there is the possibility that problems in the engine because of improper combustions could lead to the formation of nitric oxides, but according to Wikipedia (ibid) that reaction requires a catalyst such as platinum. I would imagine that it is also possible for other nasty things to come out of the ammonia engine’s exhaust, as small amounts of engine lubricants are combusted as well. But that’s a (probably very minor) problem with any internal combustion engine — gasoline, biodiesel, ethanol or hydrogen. So how does this link to Buddhism, aside from the general notion of the compatibility of it with science? Well, remember how everything is interconnected? How what we do has direct karmic consequences? For me, keeping these things in mind means I should support and be enthusiastic about any new technology that helps me to lessen my impact on our planet and live more responsibly. Though I’m not the best recycler around, and I could certainly drive less, I’m happy to know that maybe one day in the not-so-distant future, I may be driving an automobile fueled by anhydrous ammonia that made its way into my take via a distribution infrastructure that is already in place. To me, this seems like the answer the so-called hydrogen economy has been looking for.

Labels: , , ,

lotus dingbat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006 Simon Nolan


The End