The Endless Knot

Life, Buddhism, and Me

15 January 2007

Symptoms of Inner Peace

I was doing some more or less random surfing (i.e. not mindful), and found this little gem:
Be on the lookout for symptoms of inner peace. The hearts of a great many have already been exposed to inner peace and it is possible that people everywhere could come down with it in epidemic proportions. This could pose a serious threat to what has up to now been a fairly stable condition of conflict in the world. Some signs and symptoms of inner peace:
  • A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences.
  • An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
  • A loss of interest in judging other people.
  • A loss of interest in judging self.
  • A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
  • A loss of interest in conflict.
  • A loss of ability to worry (this is a very serious symptom).
  • Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
  • Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
  • Frequent attacks of smiling.
  • An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
  • An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.
WARNING: If you have some or all of the above symptoms, please be advised that your condition of inner peace may be so far advanced as to not be curable. If you are exposed to anyone exhibiting any of these symptoms, remain exposed at your own risk.
I walked into the family room where Dr Phil was on TV earlier, with a show where family members were screaming obscenities at each other. I couldn’t stand to watch it, so I left the room (and yes, I’m beginning to wonder about Dr Phil’s motivations). I think the sixth item in the list is becoming stronger in me, hopefully a result of studying Buddhism. The site where I found this, Wildmind looks like an excellent resource for learning meditation. I really like the personable way in which the Online Meditation Guides are written. The site also offers in-depth meditation and Buddhism courses for a fee, and has an online store full of CDs, DVDs, MP3s and music. Since the author of the site where I found this mentioned that he found it at his chiropractor’s office, I wonder if this is available as a poster somewhere, and I wonder who wrote it. I’ll update this post if I find anything.

Labels: ,

lotus dingbat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006 Simon Nolan


The End